The 4th of July just isn't the same when you're not in America. It's just another day here. But we had interviews with President on Tuesday, so while we were all in the church, some of the American Elders made us a good ole American breakfast: pancakes, scrambled eggs, and bacon :)
It tasted so good! and then the member that was feeding us, forgot and only had time to make spaghetti and chicken nuggets, ah it was perfect! My first day in the mission that I haven't eaten tortillas or chili. The food here is delicious, but it was good to have a little taste of home :) But with all this chili I'm eating, I'm getting pretty accustomed. Jalapeños ain't got nothin' on me.
Sol and Naomi, the mother and daughter that got baptized, haven't been able to come to church yet to be confirmed, so that's a little worrisome.
We got caught mid-camino in a rain storm with no umbrella and on a street with no trees or anything to hide under. I was loving it! But we got totally soaked (like I was squeezing puddles of water out of my dress) and as a result, my poor comp got sick...poor thing can barely talk.
So this week I was in the street talking on the phone, and there were a bunch of dogs walking around, like always...anyways, all of the sudden I feel something on my leg, and I look down, and I'm not kidding, one of these dang dogs had peed on my leg as if I were a tree or a fire hydrant. Yeah, it was gross, but I couldn't do anything at the moment because I was on an important phone call and there was only service in that one spot that I was standing. Ugh. Eventually I washed my leg off, but apparently not my shoe too good, because the rest of the days everyone's dogs were sniffing my foot...so yeah!
Yesterday we both spoke in church about the area plan for Mexico. I don't know if the US has one, but if it does, you should find it. Basically the one for Mexico talks a lot about the Book of Mormon and the blessings that have been promised to us as members of the house of Israel. Also the short little talk that Pres. Monson gave us in April was super fitting, about how vital it is to read and gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon. There are some neat promises in his talk if we read the Book of Mormon every day. And there are some neat promises in the Book of Mormon from ancient prophets if we keep the commandments and repent. It was neat to study and learn more about the Book of Mormon these last couple weeks. And I invite you, as does the prophet, to read the Book of Mormon every single day if you're not already doing it, and look for the promised blessings that are there.
I'm completely heartbroken to hear about the passing of Braydon. My heart hurts for his family. But what a great blessing it is that they have the gospel as such a big part of their lives. Nothing brings more hope than the Savior, and the knowledge that we have of God's plan for us. I hope we can all reflect on this plan, and our purpose here on earth, and keep an eternal perspective in all things that we do.
Love,
Hermana Bailey
(The perks of being somewhere where Zika is a threat... PANTS!)

No comments:
Post a Comment