Monday, July 17, 2017

Wherein Landen Prays for a Drunkard.

July 17, 2017

The water is pretty clean here, but I've met a lot of Elders who have gotten zika/danke fever from all the nasty mosquitoes. The best thing to eat is definitely whatever Manuela make us. She is this super sweet member that makes us lunch every Friday and it is always bomb!  Btw, mom, I met somebody who knows your friend.  We were teaching this street contact on her front porch and her nieta showed up, we introduced our selves to the nieta and when she heard I was from Idaho she said she had a friend living there named Arlis - so I figure it's the same girl that works with you. So that's cool.  Also, I have birthday presents for you, but I'm prolly gonna send them all (mom, dad, and miles) together in one package later on to save money on shipping.

Umm, so cool things that happened this week. Wilfredo, our investigator, came to church again and doesn't show any sign of not wanting to keep coming to church for the rest of eternity, so once we finish the lessons with him he should be good to go to the waters. We also had one other guy show up at church that was super funny, so let me tell you his story. 

His name is Joe. We met him when we were walking down the street at like 8 o'clock last Friday.  He was out from of a bar and he was blathered drunk and we were definitely not planning on talking to him (we're not supposed to teach borachos because they can't feel the spirit and can be dangerous especially on the street).  But as we walked by he called out to us and at first was talking to us about how he needed help in life, how he was a sinner, and how he wanted us to pray for him.  We agreed to and that made him happy.  Then since he knew that we maomeno (more or less) knew the gospel pretty well he started asking us all these doctrinal questions like, "Where did we even come from?"  And my companion responded that before this life we lived with our Heavenly Father as His spirit children.  And Joe's eyes got all big and looked up to the sky and asked "Really?!? We lived up there with the big guy? That's incredible!!"  Then he wanted to say a prayer for us, so he put a hand on each of our shoulders, turned his head to the heavens, and yelled as loud as he could "Jehovah! bless these young men for they are your servants, then he turned his head a little to the left as if taking to someone different and yelled out, this time also thrusting out one of his hands "Joushua! protect these boys, they are doing your work!" 

      Anyway, the dude was crazy drunk, and when he yelled his breathe smelt awful.  But we invited him to church after that, and he said he'd come if he could. I honestly didn't expect him to remember the next morning that we had even talked to him though.  But that night in my prayers I prayed for Joe, and it was kinda weird cause I didn't ever expect to see him again (he didn't want to have us teach him, we asked)  But I prayed for him anyways, and God answered that prayer by helping him a little bit in church yesterday. We were honestly shocked when we saw him come into the chapel yesterday, but he stayed for all of sacrament meeting.  He didn't want to do anything after that, and still didn't want to meet with us for a lesson, but I mean, he came to church! And by the way he was walking it looked like he had only had 2-3 beers by that time, so ... good on him! Anyways, the lesson I learned from all of this is that if somebody asks you to pray for them, pray for them, even if they seem like a lost cause, or if you think you'll never see them again, pray for them! It never hurts to pray.

-Elder Bailey


I just got a haircut today - btw Puerto Rican barbers are 100 x better than ones in the states! 

No comments:

Post a Comment