September 2, 2019
Holy Frijoles. This week. I cant really describe it.
We all left the CCM (MTC) at 2 in the morning on Monday at got to Cancun at around 9, had some breakfast and a little welcome thing and then had interviews with Pres. Marin and then got our trainers and a goodie-bag which included a hammock and a mattress pad - kinda strange but I'll explain later.
We got to our little home which is about 600 sq ft total and made it our home. There are hooks in the wall for the hammocks and some mattresses too. I chose a mattress but I didn't have any pillows or blankets so I slept for the last week just flat on the mattress, Also we have a little ac thing that cools our room down at night. The first night it was really nice, but after a day of acclimating to the climate, it turns out to be freezing! It's only like 70 - but freezing.
Anyway, my day goes something like this:
* Wake up at 6:30 and try to find the will to exercise
* Iron my clothes take a cold shower
* Get dressed and study for a couple hours
* Plan for the day and eat whatever we throw together for breakfast, like rice and mayo
* Head out to the appointments we have...
(I then sit there and try to understand the Spanish, share a scripture or give a testimony or prayer, and move on)
* We have comida (food) around 2-3 and then back to appointments.
* It's sweltering hot here but I have a little sombrero so it's good. (On Thursday I committed a sweet old lady to baptism - so that's gonna happen on Saturday)
* After whatever we have planned for the rest of the day, I return home at 8 or 9
* Study some more before bed
* Bed at 10:30 in which I put on my sweater and jeans and pray for a good night's rest.
Life here is crazy. I've never lived in a poorer environment. The people in the colonies (slums) that I proselyte in live in wood huts with dirt floors and burn their trash. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of stray dogs - all over the streets. And it smells, (which is kinda a blessing too cause I smell but you can't even tell). There are ants and cockroaches and insects of every kind in our apartment. To wash our clothes we put them in a bucket with some soap and scrub it with half a coke bottle on a stick. So strange. (Speaking of coke, after all that hype about Mexicoke and I get here and we're not allowed to drink caffeine in this mission.)
My comp is awesome. His name is Elder Limachi and he's from Bolivia. He doesn't speak a lick of English, but that's alright. In my house also dwells Elder Hernandez and the missionary he's training, Elder Cherrington - who was my last comp. What are the chances?
I don't think life has ever been so hard, but I also know that I haven't ever been so happy or felt so blessed before in my life. I love you all so much and I love this gospel. I'll try to have better grammar next week, so sorry mom.
Holy Frijoles. This week. I cant really describe it.
We all left the CCM (MTC) at 2 in the morning on Monday at got to Cancun at around 9, had some breakfast and a little welcome thing and then had interviews with Pres. Marin and then got our trainers and a goodie-bag which included a hammock and a mattress pad - kinda strange but I'll explain later.
We got to our little home which is about 600 sq ft total and made it our home. There are hooks in the wall for the hammocks and some mattresses too. I chose a mattress but I didn't have any pillows or blankets so I slept for the last week just flat on the mattress, Also we have a little ac thing that cools our room down at night. The first night it was really nice, but after a day of acclimating to the climate, it turns out to be freezing! It's only like 70 - but freezing.
Anyway, my day goes something like this:
* Wake up at 6:30 and try to find the will to exercise
* Iron my clothes take a cold shower
* Get dressed and study for a couple hours
* Plan for the day and eat whatever we throw together for breakfast, like rice and mayo
* Head out to the appointments we have...
(I then sit there and try to understand the Spanish, share a scripture or give a testimony or prayer, and move on)
* We have comida (food) around 2-3 and then back to appointments.
* It's sweltering hot here but I have a little sombrero so it's good. (On Thursday I committed a sweet old lady to baptism - so that's gonna happen on Saturday)
* After whatever we have planned for the rest of the day, I return home at 8 or 9
* Study some more before bed
* Bed at 10:30 in which I put on my sweater and jeans and pray for a good night's rest.
Life here is crazy. I've never lived in a poorer environment. The people in the colonies (slums) that I proselyte in live in wood huts with dirt floors and burn their trash. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of stray dogs - all over the streets. And it smells, (which is kinda a blessing too cause I smell but you can't even tell). There are ants and cockroaches and insects of every kind in our apartment. To wash our clothes we put them in a bucket with some soap and scrub it with half a coke bottle on a stick. So strange. (Speaking of coke, after all that hype about Mexicoke and I get here and we're not allowed to drink caffeine in this mission.)
My comp is awesome. His name is Elder Limachi and he's from Bolivia. He doesn't speak a lick of English, but that's alright. In my house also dwells Elder Hernandez and the missionary he's training, Elder Cherrington - who was my last comp. What are the chances?
Love you,
Elder Bailey
life is awesome here. I slept in a hammock one night but it was really cold. didnt enjoy that. btw, my area is cancun, pedregal. its awesome but we got all the colonies which is the outskirts of town where all the people that can't afford a house live. about as legit as it gets. people are supper receptive to the gospel and its pretty much the best. I would like a sandwhich too, they aren't super common here.
love,
ya bro
No comments:
Post a Comment