We weren't allowed to really proselyte on Thanksgiving either, so they told us do our studies, hacer tu plannemiento semenal, then go visit members. We didn't have time for most of that stuff though cause our schedule went a little like this:
Wake up, plan the day, go to first meal:
First meal was with the Alvarez family. Brother Alvarez is our WML. It was a breakfast that we had and we helped them make pancakes, and sausage and eggs. And sis Alvarez had made tamales. Super good stuff and we were all already full by 10 am.
Then go to the turkey bowl: basically everyone in our zone gathered together to play 1 hand touch football. it was a blast, even though I suck at like being coordinated or winning anything sports related...
then we showered and changed back into proselyting clothes and went to our second meal.
Second meal was with the Perez family. Obispo Perez is the bishop of the nuevo ward where I'm serving right now. They are a super cool couple (can be a little crazy at times) but pretty fun. We just had a light lunch with them there - and by 'light lunch' I mean 4 sandwiches and a salad which was not at all light but super delicious.
Then we breaked for a little and took a nap in the car in front of meal 3 for like 5 minutes. Then we went to meal three.
Meal three was with Sanchez family. They are a pretty inactive family, but were super excited to have us over for dinner and were talking the whole time about how important the missionaries are for their family. They were super nice and cooked super good.....Oh my goodness I just remembered, Bro Sanchez made flan for desert and it was the best thing ever! I had 2 of them! Ughh - I am so fat. Oh also, I just realized I never told you guys the PR flan story so I'll put that in a ps if I have time,...(if not, ask about it next week to remind me!) But yeah, Sanchez fam = cool. We were there for a good 2.5 hours!
Then we went straight to meal 4.
Meal 4 was with the Vargas family. Hno. Vargas is the elders quorum pres and he goes out with us all the time. Awesome guy. So we ate with them and had some bomb roast beef...and tamales dulces. Basically the best. We went to share the thought with them at the end, and their 17 year old daughter said that she wanted to share the thought that night so that she could prepare for her mission. So we prompted her with a scripture and she took it away and did a pretty dang good job.
Then we had to rush cause we were late to the zone activity which was watching a movie in the stake center together. We watched this pretty cool movie about some dude that went to Tonga on his mission. Went through some crazy stuff there and eventually came back to marry his girlfriend who had waited for him. It was a pretty cool show. I'll bet ya that guy has some pretty dope grand-kids on missions right now too (speaking of, one of the elders here totally knows Brian from when they were in the MTC together....wierd).
But yeah. that was basically our whole Thanksgiving. pretty sweet day!
Glad you all had a great thanksgiving as well! Love you all!
Elder Bailey
ps- okay, here is the PR flan story- saddest story of your life:
It all starts with my first area in Puerto Rico. So in Aguada, Puerto Rico, there is a Panaderia (bakery) on la 115 called Renacer. It was right next to our apartment so we would eat there a lot. Every time we went over there (which was at least 3-4 times a week), I would see their flan in the baked goods window. It looked delicious. and I love flan. Like I love it a lot. And I always wanted to try that flan there in the window.
At the same time though, it was like 3 dollars per slice, so I didn't want to waste all that much money on it, ya know? Eventually I made a deal with myself that I would get it on my last day in the area. The day in between us getting transfer calls and transfer day. That was my plan and I was sticking to it so that I could enjoy the infamous flan as a farewell to that area. Even though every day I went in there I would see it and get tempted even more. I never gave in, holding out on it, to make it special when I finally left the area. Then came a day when they told us a hurricane was coming. They told us we had to all gather in the mission office, and we were preparing to head over there.
As part of our hurricane prep we went over to the panaderia to by some snacks. And that day I saw the flan again. And it tempted me again. but this time it was more of a temptation. It was as if a little voice told me in my head that I needed to buy that flan today. I justified it away, saying that I would be back in just a few days and that I would get it when I left that area. Then the voice came again. 'Get the Flan, you may not get another chance'. But I pushed the voice out of my head like it was ridiculous. We had already been hit by a hurricane and we were back to normal 2 days later. It would for sure be the same this time again and then we'd get back and I could buy my flan when I actually left the area like I had decided to do.
So I didn't get it! And I never went back to that area. They sent us away and I never got to buy my flan. Looking back that voice was prolly the Spirit telling me that it was my last day in that area. That that was my chance to enjoy that flan. and I didn't do it. I wrote off the voice, cause I thought it was ridiculous. Guys, the Spirit is never ridiculous. It's right. Listen to it!!
No comments:
Post a Comment