Monday, September 11, 2017

Wherein Landen meets Hurricane Irma!

September 11th, 2017:

"Thanks Dad. Sorry I didn't write last week, literally the whole Island shut down and boarded up for the Huracan and we couldn't get to computers.  That is so cool about Miles' baptism, y me encanta los testimonios de los abuelos. So true. Please send my saludos y amor a Miles. Love you!
Elder Bailey"

Dear Family,

    "This week was a little crazy.  We were supposed to have transfers this last week on Tuesday, but they wouldn't let the new greenies fly out of the Dominican Republic with this crazy hurricane. So we've been in a trio this whole week, (because Elder Mancilla went to Dominica last Saturday) so yes.... I've been stuck in a trio with two people who don't speak English for over the last week!

Tuesday at 5 they ordered us to be in our house, and they didn't let us leave until Thursday at 1.  So we were indoors for 44 straight hours!!  (I think I slept for like 23 of those hours). Puerto Rico was spared a lot of damage. They told us that Irma turned at the last second and went towards Florida. We still got the fastest rain and wind that I've ever seen... but the eye of the hurricane never actually hit Puerto Rico.  

Thursday we went out in our service clothes to help people.  For the most part, houses sustained not too much damage.  But the storm dropped a lot of trees and flooded quite a bit.  But I feel like we were spared a lot. 

    We worked normal days on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. And today these transfers are going to happen.  I'm getting a new companion.  His name is Elder Banda.  He's from Panama, and only has poco time left in the mission so I'll prolly be his last companion. 

     I didn't know Maelynn got hit by a earthquake, hope all is good there.

Oh mom - tell that shoe guy friend of yours that the boots he recommended me to get did a good job and they kept my feet dryer than most all of the other missionaries!  But even they couldn't keep out the wrath of Irma! 

This is a video of us walking down the main carreterra to our house! 
(Sorry, the video wouldn't go through, but we were walking in like 10 inches of water!)

Love you all,
Elder Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment