So this week was friggin crazy. I left off last week that my comp was real sick and we took him to the hospital so they could test him for dengue. We got the results back last monday and he was negative for dengue but still sick as heck. Tuesday he got worse and ended up testing positive for “dengue inmorajico” and getting admitted to the hospital which is where I spent a good chunk of this last week. The Zone leaders and I took turns being in the hospital and chilling with my comp which was nice cause we got to watch like church movies and take hot showers, and the Pres. wife paid for our food and it was just a real chill time watching my comp slowly dying. Then Saturday comes around and turns out he's bleeding internally so he gets launched up to the ICU and we can no longer stay in the same room with him, so I end up in a trio with the other companionship in Pedregal and all is left up to prayers at this point. All goes well with church on Sunday, we got two investigators there, Sandi and Selene, which are going to get baptized on the 16th. whoohoo. but the most incredible part of my week was seeing the deep concern and love that our ward here has for all the missionaries. I received countless calls from members asking about my companion, the young women bought us some mosquito repellent, investigators and members are giving us all sorts of alternative medicines that they swear on to help with dengue and some are even trying to find us a new house. Now some of these are kind of ridiculous, like our house is fine, and we can't just be smuggling alternative medicines into the ICU, but the amount of care that everyone had and the amount of sacrifice they were willing to offer to help some teenage boys that they hardly knew was really incredible. One more thing. I went on exchanges with the Zone leaders a lot this week, and when their investigators heard about my comp, they too were concerned. When we got to the end of the lesson and asked them to pray, these people, some of which had never prayed before in their life, prayed for the well-being of my companion, who they have never met.
I'd like to add my testimony to that of James' that "the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." There is an incredible power in prayer. I thank you all for the wonderful prayers that you all have offered in my behalf and for all the other missionaries in the world. If ever you feel the need to help in the work of the Lord and don't know how, Kneel down and pray. That helps so much more that you might know.
On a completely different note, it is now hard into the rain season down in Cancún so we get some pretty torrential rain storms and then it just gets insanely hot right after cause it is that much more humid. My comp and I won a competition in the zone the other week so the zone leaders bought me a dairy queen blizzard which was bomb.
I love you all so much and hope that this week is the most incredible week ever.
Love,
Elder Bailey
Pics:
Dairy Queen They had a special "Abuelita chocolate (like that hot cocoa chocolate that you just melt in hot milk) and cheesecake" one which was awesome. 10/10. would recommend.
Squished into the back of the taxi.
My favorite flower down here. Couldn't tell you what it's called but I really like it.
Those look like plumeria flowers to me. They smell wonderful!
ReplyDeleteAunt Liz