Sounds Like a fun week, dad! I remember back forever and a half ago when me and you went out to South Dakota too to go antelope hunting with your brothers and dad. On the way back you let me tryout driving the old civic stick shift. I hope Marks driving through the Wyoming roads this trip was a lot better than mine so many years back. If there is one thing that I have learned how to do on my mission is is to be a better driver (and lots of other things too, but that is one of them). So far I've driven everything from a Corolla to a Rav4 to a Tacoma, thousands of miles, through trafficked highways in California and San Juan to country back roads in Puerto Rico and Dominica - with the steering wheel on both sides of the car and driving on both sides of the road - through some pretty crazy conditions.
This week on the Dominica roads, we trusted a map that we shouldn't have which took us down a road that still has not been completely reconstructed since the hurricane, and there were parts where the road was just wide enough to squeeze our Rav 4 by with a cliff going straight down on our left and another going straight up on our right! Some crazy stuff... but sometimes when I'm thinking about all of the crazy situations I've learned to drive in and to handle, I think back to that SD trip when I was a little lad in appreciation of all that I've learned since then, both in driving a car and in all other things.
The next day we went over for the appointment and taught him and his brother, the best we could with our limited Creole, but helped them set a baptismal date with a simple as it can get invitation: "Ou vle baptize?" "You want baptize?" and they accepted and we showed them a calendar to decide on the date. Then we invited them to play soccer with us on Wednesday and we had a great fellow-shipping game of soccer with them and a bunch of other children! By the end of the game we had set 2 appointments with different youth from around Portsmouth to visit and teach them and their families. (Come to find out that these youths' parents don't speak English either and we had a lot of Creole learning this week). Thursday tho we taught these 2 brothers again and used a Creole gospel principles book to help them to understand the apostasy, restoration and book of Mormon - and it worked great! They were super excited for their baptism. Then on Friday, they texted us and told us they are moving a half-hour car ride away from the church, and don't have money for a bus in to town.
So like I said: Huge Miracle, and little disappointments -which we will conquer and move on from!
All around tho, things are going well. Exciting to hear about Jakobs' mission call! When does he leave? I'm Glad to hear everything is going well back home, I hope that by now mom has already put up all of the Christmas decorations and that she is only allowing Christmas music to be played around the house, and that you guys are enjoying everyday new treats coming in from neighbor gifts!
Lots of Love from Dominica!
Elder Bailey
No comments:
Post a Comment