Monday, October 29, 2018

Wherein Landen Hikes to Lake Boeri.

October 29, 2018

Haha, no. they do not celebrate Halloween here, but they have been celebrating this last week pretty hard.  This last week was the Creole festival for the Island so all of the famous Caribbean singers came and did a huge music festival and all of the popular restaurants and everyone set up so it was a huge 3 day festival with lots of Creole music and Creole food (Creole is just the word to describe the culture of the Caribbean, more or less, its kinda complicated what it is and honestly I'm not 100% sure)!  I just know everyone was eating Creole food and wearing Creole clothes and going to Creole parties and the Creole music festival. 

So the festival started and around 9 on Friday and Saturday and went until 6 in the morning on both days. Then on Sunday it started around 5 and went until midnight and ended with a dope firework show. We don't know this because we went, just because we live maybe 1/4 mile from the stadium where they did the festival and all the music and fireworks kept us up at night. 

Then this next week (on Sadie's birthday) is their Independence day, so that is bound to be a huge party too, but, we don't get to celebrate at all. 'Cause we can't go to parties. Sucks, but ya know, its for a reason.

Other than that, life is good here.  Elder Bradford left on Saturday, so its just me and Elder Mancilla now. I've been the driver for about a week now and driving on the wrong side of the road is getting more natural and smooth. Our teaching pool is doing well. We have a couple of families that we are teaching that are super cool, they are indigenous families, like straight up Lamanite descendants out here. There is a reservation on the island for all of the indigenous people who live here. So they are pretty cool families, plus they are progressing well and showing lots of interest in the Gospel.  Otherwise we spend our time working hard to find new people to teach! Lots of walking and lots of talking to everyone. 

Fun highlights of this week: I taught a lesson in Chinese to a less active member here (she speaks English, just not a lot, so we had to do some translating). But I totally used the stuff that Lane taught me in Chinese forever and ever ago, haha, thanks Lane!

 We found some really cool new investigators and had some fun lessons.  Teaching in English is a fun change that has been working really well (its almost as if I'm already fluent in this language or something).  And well like everything else is blanking out right now, I cant remember anything else significant that I haven't already mentioned. Oh, we played soccer with some investigators and I got totally slaughtered! Oh yeah, and we had a ward party to say goodbye to Elder Bradford and we made chili dogs for everyone and they all freaked out cause they had never seen them before and didn't know how to eat them, but then ended up loving them!  It was pretty cool. Good week!

Thanks for all of the love and prayers and emails, I love you all super super much!

Elder Bailey






"BTW, these are from a lake that we hiked to today that is over 3000 feet above sea level. The Island is 7 miles wide and 13 miles tall and its highest point is 4700 feet above sea level. That is like close to the size and elevation of Idaho Falls, but just ocean on all sides around it...just a tall pointy rock in the middle of the ocean. The lake we hiked to is called Boeri Lake!"

No comments:

Post a Comment