October 14, 2024
Hey everybody!! This week was absolutely crazy but I will try to make this email not too long.
First off, I finished packing on Monday night, and got a few hours of sleep until we had to leave to Billings for the airport. Got there at like 9:30 and saw the new missionaries arriving in Montana! (One was from Nephi which was cool.) I flew to SLC, and kinda just walked around (like 5 miles) until Dax showed up! Then we got some food and we chilled until like 5ish when we left for LAX... then hung out there with Dax until like 9 when we left for Lima!!! That was a 8 hour flight, and I watched Coco, slept for like 2 hours, and for the last 4 or 5 hours, I listened to the last American music I could for the next 21 months! Then we arrived in Perú in Lima and chilled at the airport for maybe an hour, and had to go through customs and what not. But it was awesome cuz I was officially in Perú!!!! Then flew to Cusco! And alas, I was finally here in my mission!!
We got in vans and drove to the mission office, where we had a little food and filled out some paperwork, and got our filter water bottles(can't drink the water here without it apparently). Then we got to call home for like 5 minutes to say we made it. Then we had interviews with President and his wife, they are super awesome.
They took us on a little tour of Cusco and we say this statue of Jesús, little baby llamas, some cool ruins (saqsaywaman), had lunch at this restaurant, split up and did some street contacting (gave cards to like 5 or 6 people), and then me and like 7 other elders went to the APs house to sleep and eat some Ramen noodles and shower. I slept on the small balcony (2.5x6 feet prolly). It was perfect weather and I could watch the city all night cuz we were on the 5th floor!
Then in the morning we went to Peesidents house to have breakfast (cinnamon rolls, and eggs, and yogurt) it was very good. Then we had orientation and some safety stuff before getting our assignments!
I was assigned to Calca (K'alka in Quechua) about an hour outisde of Cusco, and my companion is Élder Grillo. He is 23, from Nicaragua, and doesn't speak much English (but he's practicing it). Then we went to a bus stations, and these other missionaries told me to go sit in this van, they gave me 5 soles, went and talked to the driver, and then they left. I kinda was just sitting there. Once the bus left I quickly fell asleep. The couple times I woke up the landscape was beautiful. Anyways I didn't know when to get off the bus, but the driver was like, "Amigo... this is your stop!!" (In Spanish if course) and so I got off and my comp was waiting for me.
Anyways I'm running out of time to write this... but basically I love it here!! The work is going great, Calca is awesome! The people here are so cool and I'm excited to get to know them better. The weather is perfect every day! I love when it rains here! Me and my comp get along really well... the language barrier isn't even really a problem (even though it definitely exists!) The food is fantastic! The dogs are sometimes annoying, but for the most part pretty chill! We are teaching a lot of lessons! I'm super happy! Basically everything is absolutely great right now!!!
Anyways if you have any questions or anything send me an email! I'll try and talk about Calca and everything in more detail later.
Sorry about the long beginning and short ending, but everything is fantastic, and I love all of you!!!

Spiritual section:The bigges thing I've learned is that if you are diligent and give the gospel your all, that your efforts will be multiplied! Even with me not speaking good Spanish, I can still bear simple testimony! And that's all you need!!
#elespiritudedios
Love you all!!
- Élder Bailey



No comments:
Post a Comment